11 Oct Can You Mix Prednisone And Alcohol?
Prednisone is a steroid prescribed to treat a variety of illnesses. You may need prednisone if you have arthritis, blood disorders, breathing problems, or severe allergies, to name a few applications. Prednisone mimics specific hormones produced in your adrenal glands. It functions in many different ways and has an anti-inflammatory quality. It is a very effective prescription when used properly, but how do prednisone and alcohol get along?
Table of Contents:
What happens when you mix prednisone and alcohol?
It is not recommended that you mix prednisone with alcoholic beverages. Mixing them together may cause your body to react in a few different ways.
Short-term effects include:
- Increases your blood sugar
- Irritates the digestive tract
- Impacts the health of your immune system
- Can elevate your blood pressure
Long term alcohol use while taking prescribed prednisone can cause the onset of several health issues:
- You may end up with stomach ulcers from gastritis because prednisone and alcohol irritate your digestive system.
- Type 2 diabetes may be in your future due to the prednisone raising your blood sugar over time.
- Osteoporosis may also be a result of long-term bone damage from using both prednisone and alcohol.
Where Can You Get Alcohol Detox?
If you’re using prednisone and struggling with alcohol use, it’s important to get treatment to avoid damaging your health. Fortunately, alcohol detox can be done at home with Elite Home Detox. We are an in-home detox treatment service providing the care you need in the comfort of your own home. You can undertake your recovery journey with your family at your side.
We are ready to help you overcome your addiction. Give us a call or book an appointment using the button below!