30 Jan What Is The Difference Between Oxycodone And Oxycontin?
As you explore options for pain relief, you may be wondering what the difference is between oxycodone and oxycontin. Is one more beneficial than the other? Keep reading to learn more.
Table of Contents:
Understanding the differences between oxycodone and oxycontin
Oxycontin’s active ingredient is oxycodone, so what are the main differences between the two?
- Oxycontin is an extended-release formula.
- Ideal for those who need long-lasting chronic pain relief, as it continuously provides relief over a 12-hour period.
- Oxycodone is an immediate release tablet.
- Generally prescribed to address sudden spontaneous pain or pain associated with specific conditions.
What are the risks of oxycodone and oxycontin?
Both oxycodone and oxycontin are strictly-regulated prescription drugs that are in the narcotics category of medicine. Both can be highly addictive if not used as prescribed. If taken over time, in larger doses than prescribed, or more frequently than directed, the body can develop a tolerance to the drug. This means the drug does not relieve pain as effectively. Trying to maintain the same pain relief despite this tolerance can lead to addiction.
Additionally, oxycodone or oxycontin overdose can be fatal. This can occur when people crush oxycontin tablets to bypass the time-release effect, wanting instead to feel the full effects all at once.
If you or a loved one frequently finishes a prescription before it is due to be refilled, that could be a sign of developing dependency or addiction to oxycodone.
Other signs include:
- Craving oxycodone when not under its influence
- Seeking relief from oxycodone on a bad day
- Feeling “off” when not using oxycodone
If you are struggling because you’ve developed a tolerance to oxycodone and oxycontin and need help with pain management, you should reach out to a healthcare professional. They can work with you to create a plan that addresses your pain and helps you avoid dependency on oxycodone and oxycontin. If you are struggling with oxycodone use already, consider reaching out to a medical expert specializing in addiction.
- Comparing Tramadol Vs Oxycodone And Other Painkillers
- 5 Home Remedies for Opiate Withdrawal
- How Does Opioid Withdrawal Look And What To Expect
- How Does In-Home Detox for Opioid Addiction Work?
- Can You Overdose From Opioids And How To Handle It?
- How To Recognize Opioid Addiction And What Are Your Treatment Options?
- What Are Common Symptoms Of Opioid Abuse?
- How Does In-Home Detox for Cocaine Addiction Work?
- How Does In-Home Detox for Benzodiazepine Addiction Work?
- How Does In-Home Detox for Heroin Addiction Work?
Elite Home Detox Can Help You Safely Overcome Dependence On Oxycodone And Oxycontin
If you are struggling with safe oxycodone or oxycontin use, reach out to Elite Home Detox. We are an addiction-focused medical practice offering comprehensive care in the comfort and privacy of your home. We provide an alternative path to the traditional rehab approach, centering care around your individual needs and concerns.
We are proud to offer detox services that can help people learn to deal with cravings in real life settings, rather than in a controlled clinical environment. Convenient, discreet addiction healthcare customized to your unique needs and lifestyle – reach out to us to make an appointment today!